Friday, December 31, 2010
Saturday, December 4, 2010
Early life stress enhances vulnerability to stress via activation of REST4-mediated gene transcription
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
Sunday, November 14, 2010
S08 Clinical Information Warehouses. notes. #AMIA2010 #research Kamal/Payne-OSUMC, Weng-Columbia, Batal-Pitt
Saturday, November 13, 2010
Friday, November 5, 2010
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
Sunday, October 31, 2010
Just had coffee celebrating my first year of #ubuntu. Cool beans. @ubuntuka @WebDevOnLinux @planetubuntu @jonobacon
Friday, October 22, 2010
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Reversal of Depressed Behaviors in Mice by p11 Gene Therapy in the Nucleus AccumbensAlexander et al. (STM, 2010) state: "These results suggest that p11 loss in rodent and human nucleus accumbens may contribute to the pathophysiology of depression. Normalization of p11 expression within this brain region with AAV-mediated gene therapy may be of therapeutic value. "http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/2/54/54ra76.short?etoc
Monday, October 18, 2010
Friday, October 15, 2010
Monday, October 11, 2010
Monday, October 4, 2010
Epigenetic and inflammatory marker profiles associated with depression in a community-based epidemiologic sample
Saturday, October 2, 2010
Allele-specific methylation in the human genome: Implications for genetic studies of complex disease
Monday, September 27, 2010
Dynamic instability of genomic methylation patterns in pluripotent stem cells #epigenetics #stemcells
Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Tuesday, September 21, 2010
Monday, September 20, 2010
Genetics of childhood and adolescent depression: insights into etiological heterogeneity and challenges for future genomic research
Wednesday, September 15, 2010
Personalized Epigenomic Signatures That Are Stable Over Time and Covary with Body Mass Index #epigenetics
Candidate gene prioritization by network analysis of differential expression using machine learning approaches
Saturday, September 4, 2010
Thursday, September 2, 2010
Friday, August 27, 2010
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Monday, August 23, 2010
Tuesday, August 17, 2010
Genome-Wide Divergence of DNA Methylation Marks in Cerebral and Cerebellar Cortices. Xin et al. 2010, PLoS ONE
Sunday, August 15, 2010
Thursday, August 12, 2010
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Multiple Independent Loci at Chromosome 15q25.1 Affect Smoking Quantity: a Meta-Analysis and Comparison with Lung Cancer and COPD via #FeedSquares
Nicotinic receptor subunit SNP associated with smoking, COPD, lung cancer.
Sunday, August 8, 2010
Transcriptional control of the glucocorticoid receptor: CpG islands, epigenetics and more. Turner et al.
Transcriptional control of the glucocorticoid receptor: CpG islands, epigenetics and more.
Thursday, August 5, 2010
Polymorphic CpG sites can be considered metastable epialleles, are thought to be particularly vulnerable to environmental influences
Tuesday, August 3, 2010
Shi et al. The Pharmacogenomics Journal- Genomic signatures show that classification algorithms choose phenotype-related genes
Functional analysis of multiple genomic signatures demonstrates that classification algorithms choose phenotype-related genes
Monday, August 2, 2010
Thursday, July 29, 2010
D'Avolio et al. JAMIA on NLP for clinical information retrieval - Evaluation of a generalizable approach to clinical information retrieval using the automated retrieval console (ARC).
Evaluation of a generalizable approach to clinical information retrieval using the automated retrieval console (ARC).
Wednesday, July 28, 2010
Sunday, July 25, 2010
Monday, June 28, 2010
Tissue specific DNA methylation of CpG islands in normal human adult somatic tissues distinguishes neural from non-neural tissues.
Childhood Adversity, Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor val/met and Serotonin Transporter Promoter Polymorphism in Adolescent Depression
Friday, June 25, 2010
PLoS one: Plasma Protein Biomarkers for Depression and Schizophrenia by Multi Analyte Profiling of Case-Control Collections
Wednesday, June 23, 2010
Sunday, June 20, 2010
Active DNA demethylation in human postmitotic cells correlates with activating histone modifications, but not transcription levels
Saturday, June 19, 2010
Friday, June 11, 2010
Thursday, June 10, 2010
Global Treaty of Cyberspace needed. Because the web is a valuable commons.
Global Monitoring and Early Warning System International Information sharing Mechanisms.
Support Cyberspace Openness
The Future of the Web and the World
Mod Jesse Brown
Gerri Sinclair on the Future, trends.
Moore's Law + Network effect > change amplified
Recombinant innovation – knowledge recombined, mashed up
Beyond eLearning – lectures and slides uploaded, Open University. New models of collaboration – wikis. e.g. www.khanacademy.org
Demise of the professional - growth of the professional amateur
Openness ubiquitious - Open Source; Open Data
Mathematician as rockstar breakthrough in mathematics, data deluge; consumer as data.
Transparency vs. privacy. Loss of privacy, but new accountability. Wikileaks- US Army. Classified data leaked in searchable format.
Threats/ benefits of the cloud. Gmail, Facebook,
Big Brother is watching you. Japan/Korea. Wireless sensors+robotics
Evolution of the Web - 3d immersification
Gameification of media – Education, Health, Fitness. Digital media becoming fundamental currency of eduction. Game engines, tourism, health, environment.
Reality continuum – hybrid reality (SMS/homework); AR; continuous partial attention; Book Exodus to the Virtual World
Online Demographics. Silent Gen. /Boomers/Gen X/ Gen Y/ Gen V (Avatars- relationships will be primarily digital). Penguin Club. Cartoon Doll Emporium.
Multiple identities – Who am I?
Technology having effects on how people do good.
Most ideas from her talk found in paper – Disrupting Philanthropy.
Data will be platform for change.
e.g. Action supporting Haiti earthquake relief by cell phone or computer. #crisiscamp
> went global – Ottawa London Bogata; no institutional support. Peoplefinder app for tagged photos of missing relatives. Creole > English tweet translator.
“Data is anything that can be digitized.”
Grandma biggest fan of iPad.
Phone gives proximity to data and expertise, gives value to organizations.
Fundamental upset to the role of the institution.
Governance is a problem for groups like Crisis Commons. Not an official nonprofit.
Laws will need to change.
A revolution in where social goods come from and how they change.
New roles for public, private, independent sector.
“We have a very new meaning of place.”
New defintions of scale – can be small and global at the same time.
I don't want to be led by technology. It's a means for us to do things.
What needs to be fixed and how do we do it?
Doomsday economy: Actions described as positive for economy, direct consequences for
biosphere. Pretty serious.
Alternative solidarity economy: In some places, people are reorganizing their daily lives for reduced impact on environment.
The hours spent looking after others are ways of creating social good, just not yet described yet as economic activity. A very European point of view. More people have access to mobile phones than clean water in the world. Depraved: replacing care by people with care by machines.
You can't grow food with an iPhone.
You shouldn't look after an elderly person with an iPhone.
Brown/Bernholz interlude: OLPC > tablets, netbooks, drove price of tech down.
myc4.org >> micropayments to Africa – you control over investment vs. loan, set your own interest rate.
Panel – a sharing economy will be a huge part of sustainability
Wednesday, June 9, 2010
than sliding-window methods.
"The major difference in the prediction was found for short islands (CpG islets), often exclusively predicted by CpGcluster."http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/11/327/abstract
Monday, June 7, 2010
Learning about tools that use gene #ontology for analysis of gene expression and #microarray data #GO
Cell Research: SHEsisEpi, a GPU-enhanced genome-wide SNP-SNP interaction scanning algorithm and epistasis in bipolar disorder
Hu et al.
SHEsisEpi, a GPU-enhanced genome-wide SNP-SNP interaction scanning algorithm, efficiently reveals the risk of genetic epistasis in bipolar disorder.Hu and colleagues developed a method for analyzing epistasis in a GWAS of complex traits, and exclude the contamination of marginal effects caused by single-locus association. They analyzed the Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium's (WTCCC) bipolar disorder GWAS data.http://www.nature.com/cr/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/cr201068a.html
Sunday, May 30, 2010
Thursday, May 27, 2010
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Seltzer et al.
Social vocalizations can release oxytocin in humans, via @CynthiaHenrich
Monday, May 24, 2010
Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Monday, May 17, 2010
Papers for 11th NAACL North American Association for Computational Linguistics, Human Language Technologies
Thursday, May 13, 2010
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
Genome Medicine: Locus Reference Genomic sequences: an improved basis for describing human DNA variants.
Sunday, May 9, 2010
BMC Genomics: Analysis of microRNA transcriptome by deep sequencing of small RNA libraries of peripheral blood
Methylation Linear Discriminant Analysis (MLDA) for identifying differentially methylated CpG islands
Friday, May 7, 2010
Thursday, May 6, 2010
Sunday, May 2, 2010
BMC Medical Genetics - Characterizing the founder structure of the Old Order Amish. via @BioMedCentral.
computers in health care are discussed, including electronic ordering. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/20/electronic-medical-record_n_545441.html
Friday, April 30, 2010
Thursday, April 29, 2010
Wednesday, April 28, 2010
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Sunday, April 25, 2010
"Anytime someone puts a lock on something you own, against your wishes, and doesn't give you the key, they're not doing it for your benefit."
-Cory DoctorowIn his recent Publisher's Weekly article, Cory reviews why "Already, Apple's App Store has displayed the warning signs of a less-than-benevolent dictator." ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/04/doctorows-law http://www.theimaginationage.net/2009/02/doctorows-law.html
Saturday, April 24, 2010
Friday, April 23, 2010
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Saturday, April 17, 2010
- Targets and dynamics of mouse promoter DNA methyla...
- S08 Clinical Information Warehouses. notes. #AMIA2...
- Slick web presentations from prezi. Moving beyond ...
- T. Kato on Epigenetics of bipolar disorder #ASHG20...
- D. Mehta: Polymorphisms in FKBPS define biological...
- Nancy Cox: Are we looking in the wrong places? #AS...
- Mingyao Li Plenary on RNA Editing #ASHG2010
- Just had coffee celebrating my first year of #ubun...
- DNA as historical GPS.
- The heritability of general cognitive ability incr...
- Fewer sticks for diabetics? Microbead glucose moni...
- Reversal of Depressed Behaviors in Mice by p11 Gen...
- Nature Medicine: Negative regulator of MAP kinase ...
- Reboxetine Meta-Analysis Calls Into Question Verac...
- Genetics of gene expression #GOGE -- recent paper ...
- Epigenetic and inflammatory marker profiles associ...
- Allele-specific methylation in the human genome: I...
- Dynamic instability of genomic methylation pattern...
- Blood BDNF concentrations reflect brain-tissue BDN...
- Liked: @AMIAInformatix EMR-enabled GWAS on periphe...
- In which S. Mani discusses Kasparov's experiment a...
- Heritability of childhood/adolescent depression. C...
- Personalized Epigenomic Signatures That Are Stable...
- Network analysis of differential expression using ...
- Valproate induces DNA demethylation in nuclear ext...
- Epigenetic Transmission of the Impact of Early Str...
- Boot time video with SSD.
- Night ride coming up.
- Recommendations for Biomarker Identification and Q...
- pm coffee pic
- Retro Camera pic- rock garden
- Genome-Wide Divergence of DNA Methylation Marks in...
- Syncing music Android (HTC Desire) with Ubuntu 10....
- Unlock @TELUS HTC Desire using Rogers SIM card: ho...
- Advanced Search of the Electronic Medical Record: ...
- Peripheral BDNF Produces Antidepressant-Like Effec...
- Multiple Independent Loci at Chromosome 15q25.1 Af...
- Transcriptional control of the glucocorticoid rece...
- Polymorphic CpG sites can be considered metastable...
- Shi et al. The Pharmacogenomics Journal- Genomic s...
- Arch Gen Psychiatry: CACNA1C allele associated wit...
- ► July (3)
- Tissue specific DNA methylation of CpG islands in ...
- Childhood Adversity, Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Fa...
- Jaco Pastorius, Portrait of Tracy. 2:36 with scrol...
- PLoS one: Plasma Protein Biomarkers for Depression...
- Learning about neuGRID
- Nat Nanotech: Carbon nanotube eletrodes
- Active DNA demethylation in human postmitotic cell...
- Epigenomic plasticity within populations: its evol...
- Heredity review: Epigenetics and gene expression
- Colnago's 1971 Merckx design.
- Canada, Check Your Privacy Settings [notes] #ncwk
- The Future of the Web and the World [notes] #ncwk
- The collapse of gene complement following whole ge...
- Prediction of CpG-island function: CpG clustering ...
- Learning about tools that use gene #ontology for a...
- Cell Research: SHEsisEpi, a GPU-enhanced genome-wi...
- Pharmacogenomics: Is miRNA the future of phenotypi...
- Endurance training enhances BDNF release from the ...
- Proc Royal Soc B: Oxytocin, stress, mothers talkin...
- Extensive sequence-influenced DNA methylation poly...
- GREAT improves functional interpretation of cis-re...
- Anonymization of electronic medical records for va...
- RNA transcripts from "junk DNA" - how abundant are...
- Papers for 11th NAACL North American Association f...
- Renee Byer TEDx talk on her photojournalism
- Genome Medicine: Locus Reference Genomic sequences...
- BMC Genomics: Analysis of microRNA transcriptome b...
- Current Opinion Neurobiol: MicroRNA pathways in ne...
- Methylation Linear Discriminant Analysis (MLDA) fo...
- Cgaln: fast and space-efficient whole-genome align...
- NEJM Effect of Bar-Code Technology on the Safety o...
- Analysis of a polymorphic microRNA target site in ...
- Science: A Draft Sequence of the Neandertal Genome...
- PNAS: Epigenetic and immune function profiles asso...
- The case for cloud computing in genome informatics...
- BMC Medical Genetics - Characterizing the founder ...
- McLuhan on the objectives of new media.
- @huffingtonpost: Electronic Medical Record Shift: ...
- Lancet case report, clinical genome. via @TheLance...
- Facade -- photo.
- Waterloo's Perimeter Institute. Pic.
- Application of support vector machine modeling for...
- How to turn your PubMed search into an RSS feed. V...
- Functional analysis of a potassium-chloride co-tra...
- The state of speech recognition in GNU/Linux.
- @doctorow's law applied to DRM; a benevolent dicta...
- Peaking, on Twitter. Twitter peak times. When does...
- RT @moorejh nice @wwwilson Top 10 algorithms in da...
- RT @BioMedCentral New software called MochiView pu...
- FASEB Journal: Lymphoblastoid cell lines suggest e...
- altered microRNA expression in autism via @PubMedC...
- Most mammalian mRNAs are conserved targets of micr...
- Anybody tried this one? Voltaic Systems Solar pack...
- ► November (7)